11:11

I Was Possessed By That Guy From Christian Death

by Steven Hughes Purkey

artwork by MT

Deirdree had been asking me for a couple of weeks to try out the Ouija board my mom had sent her…a Parker Bros. glow-in-the-dark model that looked like it hadn’t gotten much use. I hadn’t “played” on one since my childhood & it was ooky & spooky & one night I gave in & said, “Sure…let’s play Ouija.”

We dimmed the lights down to just the red & blue Christmas lights that we had hung off the dusty old paintings on our walls & sat on the bed…face to face, with the Ouija board sideways between us…so that neither her nor I were directly in front of it.

I was kind of scared, but wanted to do it, out of my own curiosity & because Deirdree wanted to be a Necromancer: one who summons & communicates with the dead…she was already a die hard witchypoo.

So, we settled down…put our fingers on the planchette…& started asking it questions.

“Is there anybody there…?” Deirdree asked the empty dark room, her eyes closed.

I closed my eyes, as well, & focused on the question, as she’d instructed.

At first, nothing. Nothing at all. lO minutes of the two of us trading off questions for any potential spirit who wished to play with us…hoping for something to happen…

& then it moved. On its own. The planchette took on a life of its own & starting moving around the board with a force that I knew was not coming from either one of us…it was physically impossible for Deirdree to be moving the thing the way it was moving & I sure as hell knew it wasn’t me!

It travelled to the bottom of the board, below the letters, numbers, & good bye…right off the edge. Dead silence.

We put it back in the center & tried again…but it kept happening. Right off the board it’d go.

After another long bout of silence, I decided I’d better refocus & try something else…so, I let my mind go like I used to do in meditation. I let the falling feeling come over me & then I noticed that I no longer had control over my breathing…something was taking over. I let it.

“I’m not doing that…” I explained to Deirdree that I was not, in fact, heavily panting on purpose. I could feel my body being pulled back & to the left…I did not resist, & when I took my hands off the planchette, I could feel something pulling them back down. Some kind of gravitational force placing my fingertips back on it… I went with it. & when Deirdree asked who was there, we sat in transfixed suspense…

First, the letter “R”.

Then the number zero.

& finally, resting on the letter “Z”.

“ROZ”…

--------------

We haven’t played Ouija since…not because I’m afraid (only kind of), but because we just haven’t. There’s more to the story…more to tell…but I’ll just leave it at that. “ROZ” has seen through my eyes, had control of my body, & I just don’t know that I’m ready for that again, now that I know what I’m in for…but one of these nights very soon, I think we will be drawn back to the Ouija, & the mysteries it contains…I can feel it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!